Keeping children safe - Your right to know.

The child sex offender disclosure scheme allows members of the public – whether parents, carers and guardians or another interested party – to formally ask the police to tell them if someone has a record for child sexual offences.

The aim of this scheme is to keep children safer.

More information about the scheme including downloadable leaflets is available on the Home Office  website.

How to ask for a check

To actually make an application, you will need to visit your local police station in person. At the police station, you will need to:

  • show some ID, for example your passport or driving licence
  • tell the police what your relationship to the child is
  • say why you want to have this particular person checked

If you think a child is in immediate danger, always call the police on 999.