Being looked after by someone who isn't your mum, dad or carer can sometimes be called private fostering or fostering.

Private fostering

Private fostering is when a child under the age of 16 (under 18 if disabled) is cared for by someone who is not their parent or a close relative. This is a private arrangement that lasts more than 28 days and is made between a parent and a carer.

By law, your local authority must be told about all private fostering situations. – See more here. If you think you might be involved in a private fostering arrangement and you live in Devon, you can phone 0845 155 1013 or email ku.vo1548007791g.nov1548007791ed@hs1548007791am1548007791 or ask your new carer to do it for you.



If you or one of your friends is a child living with foster parents, it can include a lot of changes such as a different place to live, maybe a change of school, with new children and new teachers to get to know.

Sometimes it can be really hard, and the child or young person may also feel really worried or upset about their parents or carers.

If you or someone you know would like to talk to someone about being fostered or cared for by someone else, you can contact ChildLine on 0800 1111.